One Courthouse Sq.
Bowling Green, OH., 43402
A project to renovate, refurbish, and enhance the Veterans Memorial located at the Wood County Courthouse
History of the Wood County Veterans Memorial
In 1950, the Memorial was established following a generous donation by the Wood County Chapter of the Gold Star Mothers. The memorial served to
venerate the names of their sons who had died in both WWI and WWII. As the United States engaged in new conﬂicts, the Korean, Vietnam, and the
Medal of Honor monuments were added along with the names of those who served. Recently, Master Chief Edward Byers’ name was added to the Medal of Honor monument.
Future of the Wood County Veterans Memorial
This project will include both Site Improvement and Rebuilding phases. Structural and aesthetic enhancements will provide stability and visibility to
the Memorial. Notably, the revamped Memorial will be completely wheelchair accessible. During the Rebuilding phase, current monuments (Korean,
Vietnam, and the Medal of Honor) will be cleaned, polished, and repaired. New WWI and WWII monuments will be brought in as near-replicas of
current monuments with a single piece of granite and updated, etched names. There will be new monuments honoring the Civil War, Persian Gulf/Afghanistan,
and Gold Star Families added to the Memorial.
For more information about the project, please contact Wood County Commissioners (419) 354-9100 or email: Vmemorial@co.wood.oh.us